Benefits Calculator


Earthcycle Packaging provides many benefits but one of the most significant is the reduction of waste that goes to landfill. Our Benefits Calculator will show you just how much waste can be avoided. It also shows you an added benefit that plastic packaging sure can’t offer – the tons of tomatoes that can be grown in your composted Earthcycle Packaging! You can choose produce industry numbers from our drop down menu or enter any number of trays you choose. Please don’t include commas in your number as it confuses the system.



Select
Number of Trays
  Earthcycle PET
Weight of trays (tons)
Weight after 90 days (tons)
Weight to landfill (tons)
Cost to landfill (dollars)
Savings to compost (dollars)
Healthy compost produced (tons)
Tomatoes grown in that compost (tons)

Weight of trays (tons)

The unit of comparison for PET and Earthcycle is a 1 pint tray weighing 20g.



Weight after 90 days (tons)

A 20 gram Earthcycle tray will biodegrade to 2 grams of healthy humus for your soil in 90 days. After 90 days there will be 10% less PET as that's how much gets recycled. The remaining 90% will look pretty much the same.



Weight to landfill (tons)

Yes, it’s optimistic to assume all of the Earthcycle trays will be composted. But we are working hard to insure that is the case.



Cost to landfill (dollars)

Costs to build (land purchase, site investigation, regulatory approval, constructions costs) and operate a landfill. Based on cost per ton.



Savings to compost (dollars)

Difference between the cost to community compost and the cost to landfill (US$29.40/tonne) added to the value of the compost (371kg compost = US$10).



Healthy compost produced (tons)

Earthcycle trays are certified compostable and, in less than 90 days in a backyard or community compost, they will turn into healthy, productive humus for the soil



Tomatoes grown in that compost (tons)

10 tons of compost per acre is used for a yield of 25,000 tomatoes.